* Ohio State improves to 5-2 all-time against Notre Dame. ND won the schools’ first two meetings in 1935-36. Ohio State then swept a home-and-home in 1995-96 and won Fiesta Bowl match-ups in 2006 and 2016 as well.
* Ohio State is now 117-12-4 all-time in season openers over the program’s history. The Buckeyes are 42-2 in their last 44 season openers. The two losses in that stretch were both at the Kickoff Classic in New Jersey as OSU fell to Alabama in 1986 and Miami (Fla.) in 1999. OSU has won its last 22 season openers since that 1999 loss.
Ohio State’s last season-opening loss at home was to Penn State in 1978 (19-0). Since then, OSU has posted a 43-1 record in its first home game of a season. The lone loss in that stretch was in 2014, when the Buckeyes opened the year against Navy in Baltimore before coming home to face Virginia Tech. The Hokies took a 35-21 win in that game.
* Ohio State is beginning its 101st year of playing its home games at Ohio Stadium. OSU’s all-time home record is 458-113-20 (.792). In the 2000s (22 seasons), Ohio State has a home record of 138-15 (.901). Since 2012, Ohio State is 63-4 (.939) at home.
* This was the 25th night game in the 101-year history of Ohio Stadium. OSU’s record in home night games is 20-5 (including vacated win over Marshall in 2010). OSU’s first home night game was in 1985 with a 10-7 win over Pittsburgh. (The 1995 Ohio State-Notre Dame game was played at 3-30 p.m.)
The Buckeyes are officially 73-29 all-time in night games (those starting after 5 p.m. local time).
* Ohio State had struggled in recent years against Power Five conference opponents in home night games. The Buckeyes had lost their last four nonconference home games against Power Five teams played in prime time.
The last such win was over Washington in 2003 (28-9). Since then, OSU has lost home night games to Texas in 2005 (25-22), USC in 2009 (18-15), Virginia Tech in 2014 (35-21) and Oklahoma in 2017 (31-16).
Over the last 20 years (since 2002), OSU is now 8-5 in home nonconference games against Power Five teams. The wins have included Texas Tech and Washington State in 2002, Washington and N.C. State in 2003, Miami (Fla.) in 2010, Cal in 2012 and Oregon State in 2018. In addition to the night game losses above, OSU also lost to Oregon at home (35-28) in a day game last year.
* In three-plus years under Ryan Day, Ohio State is 14-4 against AP top 25 opponents. By season these include-
2018 (1-0) – Defeated No. 15 TCU 40-28 (Day was OSU’s acting head coach)
2019 (5-1) – Defeated No. 25 Michigan State 34-10, No. 13 Wisconsin 38-7, No. 9 Penn State 28-17, No. 10 Michigan 56-27 and No. 10 Wisconsin 34-21; lost to No. 3 Clemson 29-23.
2020 (4-1) – Defeated No. 18 Penn State 38-25, No. 9 Indiana 42-35, No. 15 Northwestern 22-10 and No. 2 Clemson 49-28; lost to No. 1 Alabama 52-24.
2021 (3-2) – Lost to No. 12 Oregon 35-28; defeated No. 20 Penn State 33-24; defeated No. 7 Michigan State 56-7; lost to No, 6 Michigan 42-27; defeated No. 10 Utah 48-45.
2022 (1-0) – Defeated No. 5 Notre Dame.
* Records against ranked opponents- When Ohio State is ranked in the top 10, 407-89-9; when Ohio State is ranked against opponents, 540-149-14; when both teams are ranked, 151-94-10; when the opponent is ranked in the top 10, 89-59-8; when the opponent is ranked against Ohio State, 160-129-12.
* Ohio State is 38-9 against AP top 25 ranked teams in the last 10 seasons (since 2012). Ohio State is 22-9 against AP top-10 ranked teams in the last 10 seasons.
* Since the inception of the AP poll in 1936, Ohio State is 22-18-1 all-time in games matching top-five opponents.
* Notre Dame had won its last 10 true road games, dating to a 2019 loss at Michigan (45-14).
* This game was a homecoming for first-year Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman, who played linebacker for the Buckeyes from 2005-08. Freeman, a 37-game starter at OSU, earned his degree in sport and leisure science in 2007.
Freeman was part of four Big Ten championships teams at Ohio State and two teams that played in national championship games (vs. Florida in 2006 and LSU in 2007). Freeman, from Huber Heights near Dayton, also has his master’s degree from Ohio State and started his coaching career at OSU as a graduate assistant under Jim Tressel in 2010
* Ohio State will host Arkansas State next Saturday (noon, Big Ten Network). The Redwolves opened against FCS Grambling on Saturday night.