Tania Sachdev is a well-known Indian chess player. She holds the FIDE titles of International Master (IM) and Woman Grandmaster (WGM). In 2006 and 2007, she became the women’s chess champion of India. She clinched the title ‘Asian women’s chess champion’ in 2007. In 2016, 2018, and 2019, she clinched the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion title. Apart from being a chess player, she also serves as a chess presenter and commentator.
Tania Sachdev Biography/wiki
Tania Sachdev was born on Wednesday, 20 August 1986 (age 36 years; as of 2022) in Delhi, India. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She completed her school qualification at Modern School in Vasant Vihar, Delhi. Soon after completing her school qualification, she joined Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi to pursue a graduate degree. At the age of six, Tania Sachdev started practising chess, which was introduced to her by her mother, Anju Sachdeva, who used to play badminton at the state level during her college days. Her parents enrolled her to take professional training at the age of six under the guidance of a chess coach, K.C. Joshi. When Tania Sachdev was eight years old, she bagged her first international title. According to Tania, she quickly grasped the chess rules in her childhood. In a media conversation, Tania mentioned that she beat her father in a game after two days of practice. She said,
I picked up the rules, and two or three days later, I asked my dad for a game and beat him. Since then, my parents have always been supportive, and they made me take up professional training.”
Physical Appearance Tania Sachdev
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 38-24-38
Tania Sachdev Family Details
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Pammi Sachdev, and he is a businessman.
Her mother’s name is Anju Sachdeva, and she is a homemaker.
Tania Sachdev has a brother who is a professional golf player. She has a sister named Amrita Sachdev.
Partner & children
On 4 November 2014, Tania Sachdev got married to Viraj Kataria, and he is a Delhi-based architect.
Tania Sachdev of Relationships/Affairs
Tania Sachdev was in a two-year relationship with Viraj Kataria before getting married to him in 2014.
Soon after Tania Sachdev started competing in chess championships in her childhood, clinching the under-12 Indian championship was her first victory. In 2000, she became the Asian U14 girls’ champion. In 1998, she participated in the World Youth Chess Championships in the Girls U12 division and won a bronze medal. In 2002, Tania Sachdev competed in the Asian Junior Girls Championship in Marawila and won the same.
In 2005, Tania Sachdev became the eighth Indian player to win the Woman Grandmaster title. She won India’s National Women’s Premier Chess Championship in 2006 and 2007. In 2009 and 2011, she started competing in the Women’s World Team Chess Championship. In 2003, she began competing in the Women’s Asian Team Chess Championship. She began competing in the Asian Games in 2006 and in the Asian Indoor Games in 2009. In 2008, Tania Sachdev started competing in the Indian national team in the Women’s Chess Olympiads. She participated in the Women’s Chess Olympiad in Istanbul in 2012 and won a bronze medal in an individual chess event. During the same Olympiads in the years 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2014, Tania Sachdev won four silver medals. She competed in the Asian Continental Women’s Rapid Chess Championship in 2015 and won a silver medal.
Tania Sachdev was the recipient of the best woman’s prize at the Reykjavik Open in 2016. In 2016, she won the Commonwealth women’s champion title in Kalutara in Sri Lanka.
Tania Sachdev was chosen as the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion in 2018.
Tania Sachdev competed in the Commonwealth women’s championship held at The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel, India in 2019 and won the same. She participated in the FIDE Women’s World Senior Team Chess Championship in 2021 and bagged a silver medal along with her team in Acqui Terme, Italy.
On 10 August 2022, Tania Sachdev competed in an Olympiad organised in Tamil Nadu, India along with her three teammates and created history after clinching a bronze medal for the first time for India in the women’s team.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2008: Women’s Chess Olympiads
- 2009 and 2011: Women’s World Team Chess Championship
- 2003: Women’s Team Chess Championship
- 2009: Asian Indoor Games and Arjuna Award
Facts/Trivia About Tania Sachdev
- Prominent Indian live sports events and championships often hire Tania Sachdev to host their national television shows.
- In 2013, a World Championship chess match was held between Magnus Carlsen and Viswanathan Anand, and Tania Sachdev was chosen to be a member of the official commentary team for the match.
- Several prominent Indian magazines and tabloids often feature Tania Sachdev on their cover page.
- Tania Sachdev has provided a Fritztrainer Strategy DVD for Chessbase India.
- In her leisure time, Tania Sachdev often attempts official modelling shoots. Reportedly, she is a professional classical dancer and often adds glamour to her sport and loves being called a hot chess player. Tania Sachdev often receives compliments for her great fashion sense. In a media conversation, she narrated that she liked to be known for her achievements in chess. She said,
Though I would like to be known for my achievements in the sport, I don’t mind if somebody calls me a hot chess player.”
- In 2015, a Wings For Life World Run event was organised by the Red Bull company. She participated in this marathon as a celebrity for the promotion of the brand.
- Various chess events and championships of Tania Sachdev are often sponsored by the soft drink company, Red Bull in India. She often endorses the beverage on social media.
- Tania Sachdev likes travelling in her free time. During foreign trips, she often explores the local cuisine and culture. According to her, reading books and shopping are her favourite pastime activities.
- Tania Sachdev is frequently invited by several public speaking platforms for delivering motivational and profession-oriented speeches as a guest speaker.
- Once, Tania Sachdev mentioned in a media conversation that playing chess had always been fascinating to her. She added in the same discussion that while playing chess other aspects of one’s personality could be opened up through the logical thinking process. She said,
Chess has always been very fascinating for me. I think when you play chess it opens up so many other facets of your personality which one is not aware of. Logical thought process while handling a position in chess and dealing with a complicated situation in real life is so comparable.”
- Tania Sachdev is an avid dog lover. The name of her pet dog is Buddy Sachdev. She often posts pictures of her pet dog on social media.
- Tania Sachdev frequently shares her pictures and videos on various social media platforms. Over 154k people follow her Instagram handle. More than 122k people like her Facebook page. She has over 89.1k YouTube subscribers.
- Several renowned television shows frequently invite Tania Sachdev to their programs as a celebrity guest.